Thanks to the foresight, team work and implementation efforts of DeKalb Medical leadership and staff, we weathered Tropical Storm Irma quite masterfully. “I would like to thank everyone for their patience and leadership throughout the last couple of days,” said Kim Bentley, Vice President, Administrator at Hillandale. Kim was the administrator on call who lead the efforts in keeping our system functional. Russell Richardson, Director of Security, led the communication efforts with continual storm updates. This was a huge effort involving almost all staff at some level. Because of the pre-planning, very few DeKalb Medical services were interrupted.
Here are a few highlights of efforts leading up to and during the storm events:
- Laundry put in 15 hours last Sunday to make sure we had clean laundry available through Tuesday at all campuses.
- Patient Care Services maintained staffing levels despite transportation challenges.
- Building Services, Engineering, BioMed, EVS, IT kept all facilities and operations running smoothly throughout power surges, leaks and other issues.
- Only a few medical procedures were postponed Monday afternoon.
- Cancer Center Infusion revised schedules and will be working this Saturday to fulfill four-day infusions.
- Wellness Center hours were amended to keep members safe and off the roads.